The Susquehanna Area Regional Airport Authority at the Harrisburg International Airport is seeking applicants for the position of an Airport Firefighter. The person in this position will respond to actual or potential aircraft emergencies, medical calls, and hazardous materials situations, and facility/plant emergencies to prevent or extinguish fires, rescue personnel, administer first aid, and protect life and property for Harrisburg International Airport. Respond to emergency incidents including, but not limited to aircraft, buildings, property, facilities, vehicles, medical, hazardous materials, and other incidents endangering life and/or property.
Required qualifications (Airport Firefighter I):
- High school diploma or equivalent GED.
- 3 years of structural firefighting experience and 150 hours of structural firefighting and/or rescue training, or an equivalent combination of experience and training.
- Firefighter I and II Certification (DOD, IFSAC, or Pro Board)
- Hazardous Materials – Operations Level (refresher within 1 year)
- ICS-100, ICS-200, IS- 700, and IS-800 certificates.
- EMT Certificate (PA and/or National Registry or able to obtain PA or National Registry certification within 90 days) or above with EMSVO Certificate.
- PA State Driver’s License (or out-of-state driver’s license with the ability to get PA license within 30 days).
- The ability to pass a 10-year background and criminal investigation in order to be issued an Airport Identification Badge.
- The ability to pass a medical physical meeting the requirements of the most recent edition of NFPA 1582 – Standard on Comprehensive Occupational Medical Program for Fire Departments.
Preferred qualifications (Airport Firefighter II):
- Meet Qualifications of Airport Firefighter I
- 1 year of ARFF experience and 100 hours of ARFF training, or an equivalent combination of experience and training.
- Airport Firefighter Certification (DOD, IFSAC, or Pro Board)
The selection process will include a firefighting general knowledge test.
Starting Salary for Airport Firefighter I is $17.00/hour (approximately $37,150/year)
Starting Salary for Airport Firefighter II is $18.50/hour (approximately $40,400/year)