Helpful Information for a Smooth Trip.
The following is a general guide to help you plan for your trip. For specific requirements on your flight, check with your airline.
- At HIA, you only need to arrive 75-90 minutes in advance, on average. Confirm your airline’s check-in and deadline when you reserve your flight.
- At HIA, we recommend you check in online and pre-pay all checked bags before coming to the airport. This way, you can arrive in the garage at least 75 minutes in advance, 90 minutes if you are parking in the long-term lot.
- All checked bags must be in possession of airline staff at least 40 minutes before scheduled departure.
- At HIA, parking is available to the terminal building. You can walk from our garage under cover to the airport in minutes. If you’re dropping someone off, please look for the airline name above the departure canopy when arriving at the terminal. If you’re picking someone up, use our convenient cell phone lot to wait for free until your traveler arrives.
- Most airlines will allow you to carry on ONE personal item (purse, laptop bag, backpack) and ONE carry-on bag. Please check with your airline for specific fees, size, and weight restrictions. When packing your carry-on bags, put all liquids and gels in a single, clear, 1-quart, zip-top baggie. Each liquid item must be 3.4 ounces or less. You’ll need to pull these out when going through Security, so pack them where you can reach them quickly, such as in an exterior pocket.
- Airlines allow ticketed passengers to check bags for an additional fee per bag. Please check with your airline for specific fees, size, and weight restrictions.
Prepare for Security
To get through Security quickly, it helps to:
- Have a photo id (or passport if required for your flight) and your boarding pass ready. You’ll need to present them to get into Security.
- Wear slip-on shoes. You’ll have to remove them and put them in the bin.
- Pack your bag of liquids for quick access in your carry-on. You’ll have to put them in the bin.
- Put metal objects in your carry-on ahead of time. Whatever metal you don’t stash in your carry-on will have to be removed in line and put in the bin before going through the scanner.
- Pack laptops for quick access. Laptops must be placed in the bin. Smaller electronics such as tablets and phones can stay in your bag.
- Leave your drinks. You can’t take them through Security.
- Don’t bring wrapped gifts.
The following list contains some of the items that are not permitted past Security. Some of these items may be permitted in checked bags.
- Box cutters
- Most scissors
- Baseball bats and other sports gear
- Lighters with fuel
- Liquids over 3.4 ounces
Visit the TSA’s Prohibited Items page for a complete list of prohibited items and detailed instructions about traveling with them.