Summer vacation season is upon us and many of you are getting ready to dust of the suitcases and start the packing process. Our friends at AAA Central Penn have put together a number of packing tips to help ease the daunting task of what and how to pack. Here are some of the tips put together by their Travel Store staff:
- Know your airlines baggage policy! Each airline has its own baggage policy with size and weight limitations. It’s important to be aware of such policies so you aren’t surprised when you get to the ticket counter.
- Make a packing list. Start making a list a few weeks in advance, this way you less likely to forget something if you plan ahead.
- Pick a basic color scheme such as black, white, and red or khaki, black, and white. Then you can mix and match your clothing and layer.
- Wear your heaviest and bulkiest clothing such as boots, sneakers, sweaters, or jackets.
- Place all other heavy items at the bottom of your suitcase so when you stand up your luggage everything falls to the bottom. These items may include shoes, a toiletry bag, or a hair dryer.
- Place a cardboard divider between the heavy items on the bottom and your top layer with clothing. This serves as a divider and easy access to the bottom layer.
- Roll up all knit items such as sleepwear, workout clothes, t-shirts, and sweatpants.
- Keep all valuables in your carry-on. These items may include your wallet, phone, keys, camera, jewelry, and medication.
- Always follow the 3-1-1 rule for carry-ons set forth by the Transportation Security Administration (TSA). Only liquids less than 3.4 ounces, in a 1-quart zip lock bag per person are allowed in carry-on luggage/bags. If you are traveling for an extended amount of time, it’s best to place those liquids in your checked luggage.
- Pack patience! When traveling there are things that often “pop-up” unexpectedly, always best to pack patience and a sense of humor!
AAA Central Penn also has a great packing checklist which is a great place to start!